REFERENCE TEST METHOD FOR RELEASE OF NICKEL FROM
PRODUCTS INTENDED TO COME INTO DIRECT AND PROLONGED
CONTACT WITH THE SKIN
This is a summary of the test method. Due to copyright regulations the full test method must be purchased
from the nominated National Standards Body.
This method is used to determine whether the nickel released from products intended to come into direct and
prolonged contact with the skin will not exceed 0.5 micrograms per square centimetre per week.
This European Standard specifies a method for simulating the release of nickel from consumer items in
direct and prolonged contact with the skin in order to determine whether such items release nickel at a rate
greater than 0.5 µg/cm²/week.
The item to be tested for nickel release is placed in an artificial sweat test solution for 1 week. The
concentration of dissolved nickel in the solution is determined by atomic absorption spectrometry or other
appropriate analytical methodology. The nickel release is expressed in micrograms per square centimetre
per week (µg/cm²/week).
The test report for each determination shall include at least the following information:
- identification of the sample including source, date of receipt, form;
- sampling procedure;
- the reference and a short description of the method used;
- description of the sample area including the size of the sample area expressed in square centimetres;
- the volume of test solution used;
- the nickel release and its adjusted analytical result;
- if relevant, deviations from this standard method;
- any unusual features observed during the determination;
- starting and completion dates of test;
- identification of laboratory carrying out the analysis; and
- signature of laboratory manager and operator.
Copies of this standard are available from:
British Standards Institute
UKAS approved laboratories for this test include
389 Chiswick High Road
+44 (0)20 8996 9001
+44 (0)020 8996 7001 Fax
The Birmingham Assay Office
This Information is based on information declared to the Electronic Guide by the above companies and does not imply
an endorsement by The Electronic Guide.
+44 (0)121 236 6951
+44 (0)121 236 9032 Fax
The Sheffield Assay Office
137 Portobello Street
+44 (0)114 275 5111
+44 (0)114 275 6473 Fax
Bureau Veritas Consumer Products Services UK Ltd
31 Kingsland Grange
+44 (0)1925 854 360
+44 (0)1925 851 654 Fax